职场社交英语 Lesson 19:我就不拐弯抹角了
SCENE③ A 吉娜去她老板的隔间看他
【我就不拐弯抹角了】
Zina: Vince. We’re both busy, so I’m not going to beat around the bush. I need a 1) raise.
吉娜: 文斯。大家都很忙,我就不拐弯抹角了。我要加薪。
Vince: I can’t do that, Zina. You know I can’t.
文斯: 办不到,吉娜。你知道我无能为力的。
Zina: 2) Bull. I’re done my 3) research. I know you still 4) control more than 65 percent of InfoKing 5) options.
吉娜: 胡扯。我做了研究。我知道你仍掌握了“资讯王”百分之六十五以上的股权。
Vince: Who told you that?
文斯: 谁跟你说的?
Zina: That doesn’t matter. I want 6) at least 4 percent.
吉娜: 那不重要。我少说要百分之四。
语言详解
A: I have done extensive research on the French Revolution.
我对法国大革命做过广泛的研究。
B: Then you must have been to Paris.
那你一定去过巴黎。
【beat around the bush拐弯抹角】
beat around the bush原意是指猎人在打猎时,先在草丛附近拍打,以让鸟类猎物受惊而现出踪迹,引申出藉由迂回的方式,不针对问题回答,犹如中文里的“拐弯抹角”:
A: Stop beating around the bush, and tell me what you want.
别拐弯抹角,告诉我你要什么。
B: I want a divorce.
我要离婚。
A: What did Tom want to tell you?
汤姆那时想要跟你说什么?
B: I’m not sure. He kept beating around the bush.
我不确定。他一直在拐弯抹角。
1)raise (n.) 加薪
2) bull 原意是“公牛”,这里是用作 bullshit 委婉说法。
3) research (n.) 研究
4) control (v.) 控制
5) option (n.) 选择,此指“股票选择权”
6) at least 至少,起码