Work 工作
Warming-up Dialogues 热身对话
Dialogue 1
英语情景对话1
A: You‘ve been at the work for quite some time. Why not take a break and go out for coffee?
甲:你已经伏案工作好长时间了。休息一下,喝点咖啡吧。
B: I’m afraid I can‘t. Right now I’m up to my neck in work.
乙:恐怕不行。现在我太忙了。
Dialogue 2
英语情景对话2
A: He seems to he under much pressure recently.
甲:他近来似乎压力很大。
B: Yes, he is.
乙:是的。
A: How come?
甲:为什么?
B: His boss asks too much from him. He has to meet one deadline ofter another.
乙:他的老板对他要求太高了。他不得不一个接一个地赶工期。
A: I do hope the pressure is off him soon.
甲:真希望他能早日交差。
Dialogue 3
英语情景对话3
A: What sort of job have you had?
甲:你以前干过什么工作?
B: I used to teach in a university. But I‘d rather not work there any more.
乙:我在大学里教书。但我不想再干下去了。
A: Why is that?
甲:为什么?
B: Relatively it’s a sedentary job, not the kind I like. I prefer an active one.
乙:相对而言教书是一种比较安逸的工作,而我喜欢有活力的工作。
A: Suppose it had given you a pay rise, a 50%?
甲:如果大学里再给你增加50%的薪水又会如何?
B: Money is not the most important thing. All I want is a job that gives full play to my skills.
乙:钱并不是最重要的,我最需要一份能让我全力施展才能的工作。
A: Are you sure you‘re familiar with the job you are applying for?
甲:你对应聘的工作熟悉吗?
B: Yes. Actually I had held a similar job.
乙:是的。事实上我曾做过类似的工作。
Hints 语言提示
1.take a break意为“休息一下”,同have a rest.
2.be up to one’s neck (ears) in 此短语表示某人需要做的事情太多,都要堆到脖子或耳朵那么高了,意即某人非常忙碌。如:I‘m up to my neck in the whole mess. 我忙得一塌糊。I’m up to my ears in lave. 我爱得天昏地暗。此外,与 neck 有关的短语 break the neck of... 则表示“做完(工作等)最难的部分”。需要注意的是,I‘m up to here. (说话时带动作,将一只手横放在脖子前,掌心向下)这一句的意思则与上述几句话貌同而实不同。该句表示“我受够了”,意同I’ve
had enough. 或 I‘m fed up。
3.he under much pressure = be under a lot of pressure 压力很大
4.How come? 本句是非常口语化的表达,与 Dialogue 3中的“Why is that?”一句意思大致相同。类似的表达方式还有 How comes it that...? (怎么会……了呢?)
5.deadline 名词,原意为“(囚犯逾越时即格杀勿论的)死线”,后引申为“截止时间”,可构成词组 meet a deadline, 意为“赶期”。
b.sedentary a. 坐定不动的; n. 坐着工作的人
7.a pay rise 加薪
8.give full play to (one’s skills / one‘s speciality)充分发挥(某人的能力/某人的特长)。play 在词组中为名词,意为“活动范围,才能的运用”。
(实习编辑:于晓伟)